We have a short week this week due to MEA conferences on Thursday and Friday (no school).
In reading this week we will be working on our Unit 2 inquiry projects. We will start with brainstorming questions to research, each group will choose a question, and then we will begin research. We will also use reading time to take our language pre-assessment on Moby Max. Moby Max is a program that PTA bought us this year (thank you!!!) and it can also be used at home. I am sending home a letter in Tuesday folders to give you more information, but essentially it differentiates for grammar and math and will help us fill in any gaps or ideas that your kiddo forgot or never quite mastered. It will take them further than we have gone in math, if they are ready. The program will have them listen and interact with a lesson, then at the end it gives them a little quiz. If you are interested in getting some more at level reading for your kiddo, it also has selections to read at their level and it assesses comprehension at the end of each chapter.
In writing this week the kids will be finishing their first draft of their Drippy story. We will write our precipitation paragraph and end again in collection. Their stories are turning out so great! We will also review complete subjects and predicates.
In math we are continuing multiplication with learning to multiply by 10, 0, 1, and 9. Each of these factors has a trick to remember them. When multiplying by 10, we just skip count by ten, or think of the factor other than 10 and just add a zero. For example, 10x5=50. Anything multiplied by 0 is 0 because we can't have 0 groups, for example 0x2=0. Anything multiplied by 1 is the other factor, for example 1x4=4, because I have one group of 4. Lastly, multiplying be nine has multiple tricks. On Wednesday we will look at all the patterns you can find when multiplying by nine and we will also introduce a trick with your hands to help you out!!
In social studies we will review how to use a map. In science we will continue our study of the water cycle by looking into: Do we drink the same water as the dinosaurs??
Homework: The only homework this week will be decorating Drippy and that is not due back until Tuesday, October 21st.
Odds & Ends:
1. PTA Donation Drive has begun! Check the website for details. A reminder flyer will go home Tuesday.
2. THANKS to the PTA for providing the following items to classrooms: Moby Max software, mini ipads, shorter basketball hoops, field trips, many apps for the ipads, books, and owl pellets.
3. Coffee with the Principal on Tuesday, October 21 from 8:30-9:30. RSVP to Mrs. Meier
4. We are collecting box tops right now. I am looking for one of my volunteers who wouldn't mind cutting the box tops at home. Please let me know if you are interested.
5. We get to go to the Alberta Bair play, School House Rock on Monday, October 20th from noon-2. I will be sending home permission slips on Tuesday and I need them back by Wednesday!!
6. Wednesday is an early out at noon, so lunch will not be served. Then there is no school Thursday and Friday. Enjoy your break!
7. With this being a short week things will be a little out of order, we just have to be flexible!! We will have music on Monday, so remember your tennis shoes. We will have library check out on Wednesday still, it will just be in the morning. We will also have a short video presentation from Mr. Carter this week about making friends.
We wish Max a Happy Birthday this week (today actually)!! Happy Birthday Max!
Code Word: MOBY MAX