We are jumping in for three and a half weeks now until Christmas break.
In reading this week we are on week three of unit 3. This week we will be reading the story Tops and Bottoms and we will be focusing on the skills of monitoring our comprehension, recognizing homophones, sequence of events and noun suffixes.
In writing this week we will continue working on our reports. We will learn how to write our conclusion then spend the rest of the week focusing on getting our drafts done and working on editing and revising.
In math this week we are switching from whole group math instruction to a workshop model. The kids will be in 3 groups and I will teach each group a lesson for about 20 minutes. Then I have some wonderful volunteers who are coming in each day and one of the groups that is not with me will be with them working on a math game. The last group will be working on independent work at their seat. Each kiddo will go to all three stations each day. I am hoping this will be a way for me to better meet the math needs of all the kids and differentiate for them! Wish us luck this week!! We are still dividing this week. We will focus on dividing by 8 & 9, 1 & 0, and 10. We will end the week working with writing story problems.
We are finishing up our unit on Earth's Water this week in science. We are looking at pollution and what we can do to help save water. In social studies this week we are looking at how people can become a part of our country. We will be studying immigration and Ellis Island this week.
Homework: December poem, division review, multiplication quiz. Starting this week and going for the next 6 weeks we will be working on memorizing our multiplication facts. Each week I will send home a list with 5 facts on it that the kids need to work on memorizing. They will take 4 small practice quizzes throughout the week and then end the week on Friday with a test over those facts. We will start this week. This will really help to improve our fact fluency. Thanks for your help working on these facts!
- November lunch bunch will be this week. I am trying for tomorrow, but it depends on if we get back in time from Helena to make a treat, so it could possibly be Tuesday.
- Reminder that the book order is due on Tuesday, December 2nd.
- Barnes and Noble Night Thursday, December 4th from 4-8. Come support our school, get some great books, and listen to teachers read (I read at 5). It should be a wonderful night, I hope to see you there!
- Christmas Program: Friday, December 19th at 10:00 and 1:30.
- Last day of school for 2014, Tuesday, December 23rd.
Code Word: SNOW!!!